Lotus Health Foundation
Health & Wellness Blog
1.3.19 - Our Top Picks for a Happy, Healthy New Year
by Mei Liu, Certified CHIP Facilitator
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
As I woke up at 2 a.m. today with unsettled “monkey mind” running in my head, I found a text message from my dear husband, Jeng, starting with:
“2 0 1 9. 愛你已久(ài nǐ yǐ jiǔ).”
That really cracked me up. If you visit this webpage, you will learn how to pronounce this phrase: https://chinese.yabla.com/chinese-pinyin-chart.php
The meaning is changed based on the tone:
2 0 1 9. 愛你已久(ài nǐ yǐ jiǔ) Love you so long.
2 0 1 9. 愛你依舊 (ài nǐ yī jiù) Love you still.
2018 was a good year. I have attended many conferences, met with many great people, listened to many good podcasts, tried many new recipes, and learned more CHIP principals each time with new groups. All of a sudden, I saw myself out of breath after four years of non-stop CHIP classes, one after another. My son, Elden, facilitated a family meeting one night. He said to me, “Mom, you need to put on your oxygen mask first before you save others.” That was a very crisp wake-up call. I decided to take a break from CHIP teaching in this winter until April 2019. I will relearn how to love myself, my family, and the people like you who cross my path in life, and many more in the community.
Once I slow down and listen to my heart, there are many things coming together to allow me to redefine my sense of purpose.
Here are my inspirations to share with you.
1. Dr. Joseph Maroon, neurosurgeon, in his book, Square One – A Simple Guide to a Balanced Life, pointed out the simple concept of four sides of a square in health, awe, work, and relationship. https://www.maroonsquareone.com/start-your-health-journey-from-square-one-1/
2. Dr. Joel Kahn, a holistic cardiologist, not only treats his patients with a whole food, plant-based, low-fat diet, but also owns two successful vegan restaurants. You will find his podcasts interesting:
In The Gut-Heart Connection, https://ultimatehealthpodcast.com/dr-joel-kahn/, he shares some eye-opening detail about the gut, heart, and brain health. He recommends three things to his patients. All can be found from this podcast.
- Watch Forks Over Knives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ijukNzlUg
- Learn about the PCRM 21-Day Vegan kickstart: https://www.plantbasednews.org/post/pcrm-21-day-vegan-kickstart-app
- Watch the Widowmaker documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPgCKfJ6dH8
He also introduces yoga and meditation for brain health: https://player.fm/series/heart-doc-vip-with-dr-joel-kahn/meditate-for-a-better-brain
3. Mr. Bill George, Former Medtronic CEO and Founder of the George Family Foundation, urges us to look at the root causes of health care problems. In his article, “America Needs a Health Care System,” he encourages us to take a closer look at integrative medicine. https://www.billgeorge.org/articles/america-needs-a-health-care-system/
4. Mr. Nicholas Kirsten Honshin is an inspirational artist who started painting at age of 7. I was honored to connect with him in Sedona during the Christmas break. Honshin, the painter’s name given to him by his father’s teacher in Japan after watching him paint for 25 years, means original mind, pure heart. Each brush stroke comes from a prayer and the intent to use nature as a vehicle to transmit beauty, love, compassion, and peace into a modern presentation. “When things are coming from inside of yourself, what you are doing is you, it is not a copy of anyone else,” he said. This quote from Honshin inspires me. Each dish I make for CHIP classes, friends, and families, will never be the same as I often put my intention of focus on the people I prepare foods for. The extra ingredients are blessings of love and healing wishes. I found my purpose and compassion through his expression:
5. Dr. Neil Nedley, Founder of the Nedley Depression Recovery Program, uses lifestyle medicine to treat Anxiety and Depression. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_pJ4fB9ZIc
Anxiety and depression are considered widespread epidemics. He is one of the few physicians who has developed a holistic approach to treatment. I am very excited to have him serve as a keynote speaker for the Community of Wellness Symposium on 3/21-3/22.
6. Last but not least, I offer my gratitude to Dr. Hans Diehl and many of you who continue to infuse me with energy to support my belief of creating connections in this community through CHIP education. I thank you for allowing me to share your health transformation and giving other people hopes. I value CHIP, a successful lifestyle intervention program, which was founded by Dr. Diehl 31 years ago. Dr. Diehl created a vision and supported many facilitators with deep dedication. More than 90,000 participants have been transformed by his work. If you believe this is important to you, please support me in growing CHIP in our community together. Here is how you can help:
Read my emails about CHIP and updates
Support events and share your stories
Drop me a note and let me know how you are doing
Let me know if you need help
Wishing you a spectacular year of 2019 – Love you so long and love you still!
Stay tuned for details on the 2019 Community of Wellness Symposium and Gala!